It’s been a while.

The next two weeks will be particularly busy for me, so I’ll do my best to keep up with everything as I go.

On Saturday afternoon, Cait and I drove home for the Yarn Harlot event on Sunday. I intended to do homework for the rest of the night, but after about thirty pages I-of course-fell over on the couch and spent the next 2.5 hours illegally napping. So much for that one. After waking up, I was too fuzzy and off-schedule to get much else done without a break.


So, I designed a sweater or five. This is a rough sketch of Cait‘s sweater, being made from Malabrigo laceweight on size 5 needles. She is using the same colourway as my scarf.

I lazed about, knit a bit, then went to bed with the intention of getting up at 9:30 to do the work I was obviously not going to get done.

Sunday morning. 11:00 AM.

“I think I’ll just laze about until my alarm goes off. Wait..wait. Wait a second…”

Rule #1: Avoid using a cell phone as an alarm as often as possible.

Rule #2: ALWAYS bring your cell phone charger home with you. Period. Absolutely no exceptions.

Suddenly, I just had time to tear the house apart in search of a cell phone charger-ANY cell phone charger!!! Pleeease????? I needed to call at least people to coordinate Yarn Harlot timing!! Oh, no!! I found once charger, which did not work. Finally, I sat in the car to charge my phone and made calls from the driver’s seat. Then I packed, and was ready just in time to leave.


On the left…


On the right…

It was so good to see so many knitters at one time. Also, we ran into people that we met last time! It was quite fantastic. Is anyone still doubting that we are a community? A subculture? A cult?


We saw Riin, Kelli, and Diane,




Rachel H. and Rams,


And this lovely lady whose name I failed to write down. And seeing as my brain is made of sand, I cannot remember it for my life. Apologies.

And now comes the tragedy…The Harlot got stuck in Chicago!! She did not arrive in Ann Arbor until 5. We had to leave for Kalamazoo by 4:30, so we sadly departed to give over our seats. Did I mention how many knitters were there? Yeah. I hope the words “overflow room” mean something to you, because it was enough to strike terror into our hearts (twice) and convince us to show up at noon (when the library opens) for the 2:00 event. (Twice.)

It was unfortunate. It was depressing. Devastating, even. Yet somehow, getting to see all those who share our ways took away the pain of separation. Of course I wanted to see the Guld sweater, of course I wanted to laugh until my head ached and I started to cry, and I certainly wanted to wait in an unbelievable line to talk to the Harlot and get my book signed. Despite missing it all, it was still good.

I propose that we begin organizing conventions on a monthly basis.

So, back to Kalamazoo with us.

The first Sneak sock is nearly finished:


The scarf is growing slowly but steadily:


And the first sleeve of the Venezia Pullover is progressing:


It is now about three inches longer than the picture shows. I intend to finish both sleeves by sometime next week and get some wear out of this sweater before the heat hits!


So, with my NEW BAG, I’m off to “hit the books”.

Oh, just watch me. I just might mean that statement literally today…

5 Responses to “It’s been a while.”

  1. Cait Says:

    Yarn Harlot!!! :(

  2. Valdemort Says:

    Tree of Life!! I’ve kinda been looking for a nicer shirt (fitted, at least, not a cotton thing) with something similar.

  3. Dana Says:

    The name you are searching for is Nia. She was wearing the name tag I gave her on her thigh.
    Could be why you missed it.

    Hey, nice socks, are they toe up? I’m trying desperately to learn the method, and I’m either too OCD
    or inept, cuz mine have holes which is not acceptable.

    Sorry you missed YH, I didn’t realize you had to leave.

    Nice to see you again.

  4. kayak woman Says:

    love you, little mouse

  5. Larisa Says:

    There are way too many knitters in that room.

Leave a Reply